The Darkest MindsBook - 2012
From the critics
QuotesAdd a Quote
“He's so busy looking inside people to find the good that he misses the knife they're holding in their hand.”
"It feels like we should do something. Like, send her off on a barge out to sea and set her on fire. Let her go out in a blaze of glory."
"Its a minivan, not a Viking."
“I pulled myself from his mind, day by day, piece by piece, memory by memory, until there was nothing of Ruby left to weigh him down or keep him bound to my side"
“Dreaming led to disappointment, and disappointment to a kind of depressed funk that wasn’t easy to shake. Better to stay in the gray than get eaten by the dark.”
“But hey, what's life without a little adversity?"
That had to have been the fakest attempt at optimism since my fourth grade teacher tried reasoning that we were better off without the dead kids in our class because it'd mean more turns on the playground swings for the rest of us.”
“Where did she come from, and where can I find one?"
"Picked this one up at a gas station in West Virginia, bargain price. Last one on the shelf, sorry.”
“I pulled myself from his mind, day by day, piece by piece, memory by memory, until there was nothing of Ruby left to weigh him down or keep him bound to my side..”
“Maybe nothing will ever change for us,” he said. “But don’t you want to be around just in case it does?”
“...crackers..." a voice breathed out nehind us, "yesss..."
Both of us turned, watching as Chubs twisted around in his seat and settled back down, still fast asleep.
I pressed a hand over my mouth to keep from laughing. Liam rolled his eyes, smiling.
"He dreams about food," he said. "A lot.”
AgeAdd Age Suitability View All Ages
Coarse Language: In this book the language isn't that bad but later in the series there is a character that comes in who cusses a lot. honestly it's nothing middle schoolers have not heard.
Sexual Content: Flirting, caressing, and kissing. It goes no farther than that, but it's described quite thoroughly.
Violence: Kids at brutal incarceration camps are beaten, killed, and tortured. Some chases by vehicle and on foot, with a couple of crashes and explosions. There is blood, injuries, fights, weapons, gunfire, death, and assault. There are plenty of descriptions (sometimes graphic).
Coarse Language: Frequent uses of sh** and variants, ass and variants, and OMG and variants. Three uses of f**king.
SummaryAdd a Summary
A disease known as IAAN has killed 92% of America’s children leaving the remaining 8% with strange abilities. This series follows Ruby Daly, who wakes up on her tenth birthday to find that her parents dont know who she is. Unable to run she is shipped off to thermund, one of the many abusive rehabilitation camps. She is able to slip through processing and get labeled as a green which allows her to survive for the next six years. But after being offered escape by the children's league(an undercover organisation trying to free all the kids) she has to choose, run or stay with the girls from her cabin and hope they dont discover her.
In this bleak, action-packed book, 98 percent of the children in America have been killed by a virus - and the other two percent have developed frightening powers that they can't control, prompting the government to lock them up in "rehabilitation camps." Sixteen-year-old Ruby has escaped from one of these camps, along with a small group of others who, like her, are looking for the one secure haven they've heard about... but they'll have to make it there without being captured or killed first. This often violent novel's twists and turns will keep you guessing, and there's also plenty to pull fans of well-developed characters into its harsh, dark world
Sixteen-year-old Ruby wakes up on the morning of her tenth birthday only to discover that her parents don't know who she is. She is brought to a camp for people like her and barely escapes with her life. On the run, she meets a group of kids from another camp, and soon she finds herself a part of their band as well. Now she is searching for the rumored East River,and at the same time Ruby is falling for Liam, her group's new leader. Knowing what a monster she is, she cannot afford to get close. But can she really learn to stay away? And will Ruby ever learn to control her power? The same power that made her parents forget her and send her to the place where it all started? Read "The Darkest Minds" to find out...